How do I choose a dog breed?
Every dog deserves a loving home and we will help you find the best match for your family!
Take our quick quiz to see which breed suits your lifestyle
WHAT COAT WORKS FOR YOU
What kind of coat will your puppy grow into?
- Short coats: These coats don’t tangle or mat, but they do shed heavily twice a year. Examples include Pointers, Weimaraners, and Boxers.
- Mid-length coats: Breeds with this coat will shed heavily twice a year, however, the daily upkeep is usually minimal. Examples include the Tibetan Spaniel, the Brittany, and the Borzoi.
- Double coats: Examples include German Shepherds, Collies, and Australian Shepherds, among others. These breeds have a long undercoat with a short outer coat.
- Long coats: This type of coat is usually silky and flowing, and needs daily brushing. Examples: the Afghan Hound, the Irish, English, and Gordon Setters.
- Curly coats: An example of a breed with this coat is the Poodle. These coats will need regular grooming and haircuts, or professional grooming every 4 to 6 weeks.
- Wire coats: Examples of breeds with this type of coat include the Wire Fox Terrier and the Scottish Terrier. These breeds may need to be clipped every 6 to 8 weeks.
ACTIVITY LEVEL, PERSONALITY, AND TRAINABILITY
Just as there are many different coat types among breeds, the activity level, personality, and trainability of puppies will also vary, depending on the individual puppy.
- High activity level: Cocker Spaniels, Jack Russell Terriers, and Sheepdogs are just a few of the breeds known for high activity levels.
- Less active breeds: Chow Chows, Great Danes, and the Basset Hound are a few examples, usually best-suited for senior citizens, or people with a laid-back lifestyle.
- Personality: Some breeds, such as the Bichon Frise and the Shih Tzu crave being with their owner as much as possible and are best for people who are at home most of the time. Others, like St. Bernard, will bond with their owners but usually don’t feel the need to follow them from room to room.
- Trainability:Every puppy needs training and each will learn differently. However, some breeds are traditionally easier to train, such as the Standard Poodle and the German Shepherd, among others.
Which dog breed is right for me?
Find the perfect dog breed or puppy breed to match your lifestyle
Pastoral group: Highly active
- Bred to herd sheep, cattle, and even reindeer, the pastoral group includes the Border Collie, Old English Sheepdog, and Samoyed.
- They’re very loyal and are the happiest when they’re doing something useful.
Utility group: Dogs who love to do jobs
- This mixed group is made up of dogs that were originally bred for very specific jobs.
- You’ll find some great personalities in this group, including Bulldogs, Schnauzers, and Shih Tzus.
Toy group: Small dogs, big personalities
- If you want plenty of personality in a small package, this type is for you.
- From Yorkshire Terriers to Pomeranians, and Maltese to Pekingese, they’re lively and live happily in a smaller space.
Hound Group: Dogs that love to seek things out
- From Dachshunds to Deerhounds, and Bassets to Beagles, hounds come in every size and shape.
- They’re all skilled at hunting using their eyes or their noses.
Working group: Search, rescue, and guard dogs
- Think Boxer, Mastiff, Husky, Rottweiler, and St. Bernard. These dogs are never happier than when they’re being useful.
- Train them well, and your family will have a friend and protector for life.
Terrier group: Assertive dogs
- These lively little dogs love to dig holes. They have a strong prey instinct and like to have the last word.
- Jack Russell, Fox Terrier, or Staffordshire Bull Terrier could be just right for you if you have plenty of space.
Gun dog group: Dogs who love to fetch
- Setters, Pointers, Labrador, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and Spaniels were originally bred to help their owners when they went shooting.
- They’re loyal, love to learn and are (almost) always eager to please. You only need to keep them well exercised.
If you want to buy any kind of dog you can contact Naughty Dogs, the best dog shop in Jaipur. Providing pet supplies online in Jaipur